Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Then I confess, hear on my knee...

...before High Heaven and you
That before you, and next unto high heaven,
I love

COHEED AND CAMBRIA.

That's right.  I tired of hiding it.  "Danielle," you may say, "Are you a 16 year old boy?  For what reason have you not grown out of that phase?  Why would you like such a band?"  Worse yet, you might say, "Who the hell is Coheed and Cambria?"

Alright.  So maybe my love of Coheed and Cambria springs from a deeply held desire not to grow up.  Maybe it speaks to poor taste.  Maybe it speaks to AWESOME taste. 

Or maybe it conjurs memories of driving to school with my brother my sophomore year of high school with "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3" blasting in his little silver hyundai, the smell of stale fast food and teenage boy thick in the air, nauseously weaving down I-84 to see, for the umpteenth day in a row, if we could make it to school in the 8 minutes and 13 seconds it took for the song to play out.  Maybe some days the car was filled with angsty sibling tension over one of us thinking the other was making us late, or whatever other stupid thing we were bitching about. But some days as we ripped up the freeway, tailgating to within 4 feet in our desperation to get to school on time and singing/screaming along with INKSSE:3, there was an unmistakable sense of camaraderie, flying on the epic music through a bright Idaho morning to a school which we generally considered a wasteland.  I think we listened to that song every morning for at least an entire semester.

Coheed and Cambria will forever remind me of those mornings, but I would like to take this time to argue that they are actually a really awesome band in their own right.  What other band uses their entire discography to tell one epic Sci Fi tale? That's right, all five studio albums tell the story of "The Amory Wars" written by lead singer Claudio Sanchez, and the epic Sci Fi tale told through Coheed's music has been turned into a comic book series and a full length novel.  Come on.  What nerd reading this isn't totally excited right now? 

Sci Fi + Rock = Magic.

Beside that completely awesome fact, I just dig the music.  According to Wikipedia, Coheed is "Progressive Rock," but there is something so epic and expansive about their style that makes it almost operatic in scope, which may also explain my love of them.  I love a band that's not afraid to make a song as long as it needs to be.  In addition, they morph towards metal, punk, and pop when they need to, making them delightfully varied and diverse in their soundscape. 

While I'm on my soapbox preaching the good news/Simultaneously using this blog as a music confessional...

I still listen to The Alkaline Trio on a regular basis, and occasionally indulge in My Chemical Romance and sometimes Fall Out Boy.  Don't look at me like that.  It's fun music.  I will no longer apologize for my behavior, and I will embrace my identity as a preteen boy!

Anyway. Getting back to business.  Coheed and Cambria.  Next time you have to do something in approximately 8 minutes and 13 seconds, I challenge you to listen to this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_Now6WDRc
and not feel totally epic while accomplishing your 8-minute task.

No comments:

Post a Comment