Thursday, October 27, 2011

Women who Rock: Part 2 (Meet the Co-Queens)

The initial pioneer-esses have broken into Rock!  The blues mistresses crooned the inital battle cry, a couple brave ladies took up the mighty Axe, and one or two more joined the ranks with the power of Country. 

Now what?

...girl groups.  Yikes.  I mean, on the bright side more and more ladies were getting involved with this new-fangled music, but things got pretty Sugar Pop-y for a while.  Let's just move on, shall we?

There are two women who, to me, totally revolutionized what women could do and say with music:
Janis Joplin and Tina Turner.

I've gotta start with Janis Joplin because I fell in love with her first.  There is absolutely nothing that can compare with her total freedom of spirit, raw blues instinct, and raspy screech.  She sounded like she drank whiskey from the bottle and smoked cigars as soon as she could walk, and she sang from the fathoms-deep depths of her freakin' soul.  Her songs also contained an insight and intelligence that female singers hadn't possessed before--certainly not in their songwriting, anyway.  Check out Get it while you can, one of my favorite songs of hers.  I won't even begin to go into her bio, because many people have done a much better job of documenting her life, and google will yield you a wealth of info.  There is supposedly FINALLY going to be a biopic about her starring Amy Adams entitled "Janis Joplin: Get it while you can" in 2012.  We will see if it actually happens though...There appears to be some behind-the-scenes drama over who gets the biopic.  Zooey Deschanel was supposed to play her in another flick a few years back, but that fell through.

Anyway!  In the parking lot of a Taco Bell somewhere in central Oregon, my friend Jamie told me about Tina Turner's incredible life story, and piqued my interest in this incredible woman who, like Janis, has been called by various publications at various times, the "Queen of Rock and Roll."  Since then, I have discovered that Tina Turner is an awesome and inspiring human being, as well as an incredible entertainer with a voice that ROCKS.  (<< I don't know what I like best about that video... The costumes, the dance moves, or Tina Turner's high level of badass. My favorite might actually be the tall white guy.)  Anyway, check out her biopic "What's love got to do with it?"

Personally, there is no way that I could choose one of these two fabulous, revolutionary women upon whom to bestow the crown designating the "Queen of Rock and Roll," so I hereby giving them matching crowns, and thank them for fully bringing women into the world of Rock. 

1 comment:

  1. I am going to bring back this pretty gem in honor of Janis Joplin being freakin' awesome!

    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=23783195345

    I hope that went through!

    Roya
    http://royaghorbani.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete