Friday, December 9, 2011

Thing I've learned at work. Part Two.

So the other day I posted about the Flying M in Boise, but when I started writing I actually wanted to write about a book of postcards that I found in the gift shop at the M.  I don’t remember who published/wrote them, but they were postcards of “Office Humor” that hit disturbingly close to home.  It occurred to me in that moment that this blog (at least some posts…I’ve been pretty random) is part of an entire genre of office humor used amongst people who work 8-5 in cubicles. 
As early as 1923 Elmer Rice was writing “The Adding Machine,” a play about a hapless corporate drone.  Similarly, Sophie Treadwell wrote “Machinal” in 1928.  In the late 1990s a little gem of a movie came out called "Office Space."  Umm…Can I get a big Duh for a little modern sitcom that jumped across the pond called “The Office”??  I also googled Office Humor and found such websites as officehumor.com, ishouldbeworking.com, and mycorporatehell.com.   (I didn’t link to any of them because I didn’t actually find anything super entertaining.  But then I didn’t spend a whole lot of time.)  So I guess my point is that many people have been having a hard time with office jobs since the 1920s, and there is an entire genre devoted to it.  Thankfully for me (a modern lady), the internet exists nowadays to entertain me!
On that note, I’ll share some more random things I’ve learned at work…
1.       Having painted nails makes typing more fun, for some reason. Just look at those pretty nails go!! 
2.       Add to the list of things that make data entry bearable—Podcasts! 
3.       One of my superiors advised me that, if I turn my monitor, people walking up the aisle can’t see that I’m on facebook.  Niiiice.
4.       Divorced women age 30-40 can be some of the funnest, wildest, most awesome, and simultaneously nurturing people on the planet. 
5.       Just because you have twin boys and work an 8-5 job doesn’t mean you can’t party as hard as the single divorced 30-40 year old women.
6.       Nothing perks up an office like a little holiday cheer.  My cubicle is adorably decorated with lights and tinsel, and the building is home to two proud trees and lots of wreaths and garlands. 
7.       Grandmothers make the best bosses.

2 comments:

  1. 1. YES! sparkles are the best
    2. When I got a new computer my speakers went along with it, that was one of the most heart-breaking days of my career.
    3. G-chat. It makes it always seem like you are working.
    4 and 5 I can't speak to, but I can't say I am not interested to find out.
    6. Desk toys.
    7. you make the best boss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) YES. Having painted nails keeps me seriously more engage when I'm typing up my class outlines.
    2-6) I don't really know, but I definitely take your word on it.
    7) I agree with Suzz.

    ReplyDelete